Winter is here! As temperatures continue to drop, we’d like to remind you of the routine maintenance that should be performed on your home. This maintenance will help lower energy bills during the cold season as well as save you the time, effort, and investment of future home repair.
To keep your home functioning at its best, follow these 11 winter home maintenance tips.
- Continue ongoing monthly maintenance.
- Check and clean or replace the furnace air filters each month during the winter season.
- Clean the humidifier two or three times during the winter.
- Vacuum bathroom fan grills.
- Make sure that all of your smoke/carbon monoxide detectors are clean and working properly.
- Check fire escape routes. Make sure all escapes from each room are clear of any obstructions and are easily accessible. In addition, check that all doors and windows function properly.
- Continue monitoring your home’s moisture levels. The humidity setting on your humidistat should be adjusted depending on the exterior temperature. The more outside temperatures fluctuate, the more often you need to check this setting
- Check roof for ice damming. Ice buildup should be removed as soon as possible.
- Shut off the water main to the entire home if you leave your house for long periods.
- Remove the sump lid and make sure the sump crock is clean and functioning properly.
- Check that concrete in your driveway, garage, and around the home is not exposed to salt or other harmful chemicals.