1. COMPLETE YOUR REAL ESTATE FUNDAMENTALS (PRELICENSURE) COURSE: Your school will submit your certificate of completion to the State of Michigan. You must apply for licensure within 36 months of completing your prelicensure course
To search for available approved course offerings go to www.michigan.gov/realestate and click on the “Approved Real Estate Prelicensure Courses” under the Applicant Information area.
2. COMPLETE AND SUBMIT YOUR REAL ESTATE SALESPERSON LICENSE APPLICATION: Log into the site www.michigan.gov/icola to apply for licensure. Upon accessing iCOLA, you will be asked to create an account, pay your license fee and submit your license application electronically. If you list your employing broker’s 10-digit id number when applying, please inform your employer that you have submitted your license application.
Your license application will remain in a “pending” status with the State of Michigan until you have met all licensing requirements including confirmation of broker sponsorship. Your application is valid for one year from the date of application; all licensing requirements must be met within one year of date of application.
3. RECEIVE AUTHORIZATION TO TEST: If no additional documentation is required, and your application is approved, you will receive an email from the State of Michigan notifying you of your authorization to register for the exam (please allow 2-5 business days for this step). The email will include your exclusive six-digit exam candidate “MIRE” (Michigan Real Estate) number and complete examination registration instructions.
If additional documents are required due to your “yes” responses, the application will be in a pending status (you will not receive the email) until the documents are received and the application is approved. No email is sent to you regarding these deficiencies.
4. CONTACT PSI TO SCHEDULE EXAM: Using the contact information contained in your “MIRE” email, provide PSI with your MIRE number, then schedule and pay for your exam.
5. TAKE AND PASS EXAM: If broker sponsorship is confirmed at least 48 business hours prior to your exam date, you will receive the photo pocket license at the PSI Examination Site upon successful completion of your exam.
Subsequent Notification of Broker Sponsorship:
You must pass the exam and have a Michigan employing broker within one year of applying for the license or the fee paid on iCOLA expires.
6. LICENSURE: Typically, exam information will be imported into your iCOLA record within 48 business hours after successful completion of the exam. Once your exam score is received by the Department and broker sponsorship is confirmed, the State-issued paper wall license and pocket card will be mailed to your employing broker’s main office.
For more information read Steps To Obtain a New Salesperson License.